Chris Jericho responds to WWE return rumors, hints at intrigue around talks

Show summary Hide summary

Chris Jericho finally addressed the persistent WWE return rumors that swirled during his eight-month absence from AEW earlier this year. In a recent interview, the legendary wrestler clarified his position while hinting at genuine interest from WWE during his free agency period. The response comes just weeks after he inked a new multi-year contract with All Elite Wrestling, essentially closing the door on a shocking comeback to his former promotion.

🔥 Quick Facts

  • Chris Jericho signed new multi-year AEW deal on April 10, 2026
  • The 55-year-old was absent from AEW for approximately 8 months (late 2025-early 2026)
  • WWE negotiations reportedly occurred during his free agency period
  • Jericho clarified that rumors “became fact to the fans,” not to him
  • He did not return to WWE at the 2026 Royal Rumble in January

The Free Agency Period: Uncertainty and Speculation

Chris Jericho’s contract with AEW expired in December 2025, triggering months of speculation about his future. During the latter part of 2025 and the first three months of 2026, the wrestling legend remained largely absent from AEW programming. This silence fueled intense rumors that WWE was actively pursuing the 10-time world champion for what would have been a legacy retirement tour, similar to John Cena’s recent farewell run.

The speculation intensified ahead of the 2026 Royal Rumble in January, with industry insiders and fans expecting a surprise Jericho return to WWE. However, the moment never materialized. According to PWInsider reports, there was no indication that Jericho was even in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for the event. This absence disappointed those hoping to see the wrestling icon return to the promotion where he made his debut 27 years prior in 1999.

Jericho’s Own Words: Clarifying the Rumors

During a recent interview, Jericho addressed the relentless speculation head-on. “No, I never said the rumors became fact,” he stated. “I said that the rumors became fact to the fans. But yeah, I’ll leave that for them to decipher.” This cryptic response suggests genuine conversations occurred between Jericho and WWE, even if they ultimately went nowhere.

The distinction Jericho makes is important: while he didn’t confirm returning to WWE, he acknowledged that talks existed. The wrestling community had latched onto speculation as certainty, treating rumors as imminent announcements rather than preliminary discussions. Jericho’s wording implies WWE interest was real, but other factors—likely contract terms and his stated AEW loyalty—prevented a deal from materializing.

The AEW Negotiation and Contract Resolution

On April 1, 2026, Chris Jericho made a surprise return to AEW Dynamite in Winnipeg, Canada. The crowd reaction was immediate and emotional, with the audience serenading him upon arrival. Nine days later, on April 10, 2026, Tony Khan confirmed that Jericho had signed a new multi-year extension with AEW, effectively ending the speculation about his next chapter.

According to reports from Fightful Select and confirmed by Tony Khan during the AEW Dynasty media call, Jericho was allowed to explore options with WWE during his free agency window. However, when negotiating his comeback with AEW, he ultimately chose to remain with the promotion that helped define his late-career renaissance. Khan emphasized that one of the industry’s most skilled performers had legitimate options but selected AEW.

Career Timeline: Three Decades of Championship Legacy

Era Key Details Notable Achievement
WCW/Japan (1990-1999) Early career development in regional promotions Trained by Lance Storm in Calgary
WWE (1999-2005) Iconic debut interrupting The Rock on RAW First Undisputed WWF Champion (2001)
WWE (2007-2014) Third major WWE return with various feuds Multiple world and intercontinental titles
AEW (2019-Present) AEW founding member and key creative force AEW World Champion, multi-time TNT Champion
Age/Status (2026) 55 years old, active full-time with AEW Annual estimated salary approximately $5 million

“Tony Khan has confirmed that Chris Jericho has signed a new multi-year agreement with AEW, effectively locking in one of the company’s most influential figures for the foreseeable future.”

AEW Dynasty Media Call Announcement, April 2026

What This Means Going Forward: AEW Commitment and Legacy

Jericho’s multi-year AEW deal essentially guarantees he will retire under the AEW banner, ending speculation about WWE involvement. While his cryptic comments about conversations with WWE confirm the wrestling world’s suspicions that talks occurred, the outcome demonstrates Jericho’s stated priority: continuing his creative mission with AEW under Tony Khan’s leadership.

The wrestling veteran has become a key creative voice for AEW, influencing booking decisions and helping develop younger talent. His championship reigns, program development expertise, and cross-promotional credibility make him invaluable to a promotion still establishing its legacy. The deal also signals AEW’s confidence in Jericho as a future hall-of-famer who will help legitimize the company’s historical standing in professional wrestling.

Why the WWE Door Closed: Practical Considerations Beyond the Rumors

Several factors likely prevented any WWE return despite reported discussions. First, WWE’s recent organizational changes under new leadership may have shifted priorities away from expensive veteran signings. Second, Jericho’s creative influence at AEW is difficult to replace—he is not merely a performer but a significant booking voice. Third, his stated preference for creative freedom and input at AEW likely exceeds what WWE’s current structure would offer a talent in his late career phase.

Additionally, Jericho remains an active main-event performer rather than a part-timer. His presence on AEW programming nearly every week justifies his significant contract value. A WWE arrangement would likely position him as special attraction talent, limiting his weekly exposure and overall impact compared to his current AEW role.

Will Chris Jericho Ever Step Foot in WWE Again? The Lingering Question

Despite his new AEW commitment, Jericho’s response leaves the door slightly ajar regarding WWE appearances. His cryptic language—distinguishing between what “became fact to the fans” versus what happened to him—suggests he may not have completely closed the conversation. However, his signature on a multi-year AEW deal makes any significant WWE involvement unlikely through at least 2027 or 2028.

The wrestling industry has learned that circumstances change, contracts get modified, and legacy moments can happen unexpectedly. Yet for now, Chris Jericho has made his choice crystal clear: AEW is his home, his future, and likely his final professional wrestling destination. The rumors, as he noted, became fact in the collective imagination of wrestling fans. But the actual fact is his commitment to All Elite Wrestling.

Sources

  • Sports Illustrated (SI Fannation) – Chris Jericho response to WWE rumors interview (May 2026)
  • Yahoo Sports – Tony Khan confirms multi-year AEW deal for Chris Jericho (April 10, 2026)
  • Fightful Select – WWE allowed talks during Jericho free agency period (April 2026)
  • AEW Dynasty Media Call – Official confirmation of contract signing (April 2026)
  • PWInsider.com – Royal Rumble 2026 report on Jericho absence
  • Times of India Sports – Chris Jericho estimated annual salary documentation (2026)

Give your feedback

Be the first to rate this post
or leave a detailed review



Art Threat is an independent media. Support us by adding us to your Google News favorites:

Post a comment

Publish a comment