Show summary Hide summary
ABC pulled the plug on Season 22 of The Bachelorette just 3 days before premiere after a 2023 assault video surfaced showing lead Taylor Frankie Paul. The March 20 cancellation shocked the reality TV world and marked an unprecedented move for the franchise.
🔥 Quick Facts
- Premiere Date: Season 22 was scheduled to air March 23, 2026 on ABC
- Cancellation Date: Disney pulled the season March 20, 2026, just 72 hours before launch
- Trigger Video: TMZ released footage from February 2023 showing Paul attacking ex-boyfriend Dakota Mortensen
- First Ever: This marks the first Bachelorette season never to air on television
What Happened on March 20 That Changed Everything
ABC parent company Disney announced the stunning decision in a brief statement. “In light of the newly released video just surfaced today, we have made the decision to not move forward with the new season of ‘The Bachelorette’ at this time, and our focus is on supporting the family,” Disney said. The announcement came hours after TMZ published the 2023 video featuring Paul, 31, physically attacking Mortensen inside a home.
The footage shows Paul throwing three barstools at Mortensen while a child can be heard crying in the background. Mortensen, who filmed the video, says at one point: “Your daughter is sitting right there.” The incident launched immediate investigations and halted filming on Paul’s Hulu show, The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives, which had just released its fourth season.
The Bachelorette 2026 cancelled by ABC after Taylor Frankie Paul allegations
Apple TV debuts thriller Unconditional, Dark Matter returns with 9 episodes
Who Is Taylor Frankie Paul and Why Was She Cast
Taylor Frankie Paul, a 31-year-old influencer and MomTok creator, rose to fame as a social media personality challenging traditional Mormon values. She broke through mainstream consciousness in 2022 when she revealed her then-husband and herself engaged in “soft swinging.” After the swinging scandal divided her MomTok community, Paul continued building her brand through reality TV.
ABC’s decision to cast Paul marked an unprecedented break from franchise tradition. Every previous Bachelorette had been a fan-favorite contestant from a prior Bachelor season. Paul became the first lead without that background, signaling Disney’s attempt to revitalize the franchise following sharp viewership declines. Her casting announcement came September 2025 on the Call Her Daddy podcast.
The 2023 Incident and Legal Aftermath
| Detail | Information |
| Original Arrest Date | February 2023 |
| Initial Charges | Aggravated assault, criminal mischief, domestic violence in presence of child |
| Plea Deal | Guilty to aggravated assault (third-degree felony) in August 2023 |
| Sentence | 36 months probation with conditions |
“After years of silently suffering extensive mental and physical abuse as well as threats of retaliation, Taylor is finally gaining the strength to face her accuser and taking steps to ensure that she and her children are protected from any further harm.”
— Taylor Frankie Paul’s Representative, statement to NBC News
Competing Allegations and the Recent Investigation
Paul and Mortensen’s turbulent relationship came under fresh scrutiny in February 2026 when the Draper City Police Department launched a new domestic violence investigation. A unnamed spokesperson told People that “allegations have been made in both directions” and police made contact with both on February 24 and 25, 2026. Just days later, Mortensen filed for a protective order against Paul on March 19.
Mortensen has publicly denied the assault allegations, telling People the video situation is “deeply upsetting.” He stated he “categorically denies these baseless claims about me and our relationship” and emphasized his focus is protecting their son Ever, born March 2024. The couple’s on-and-off dynamic remained central to The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives storyline throughout filming.
What Does This Mean for The Bachelorette Franchise Going Forward
ABC’s unprecedented cancellation cost Disney an estimated $60 million in losses, including production costs, advertising revenue, and marketing fees. The network replaced the scheduled premiere with a rerun of American Idol. None of the filmed footage from Season 22 has aired or is expected to air, making this the first Bachelorette season in franchise history to be entirely shelved.
The controversy reignited ongoing debates about reality TV casting standards and due diligence. ABC knew about Paul’s 2023 arrest before filming began, raising questions about vetting procedures. Industry observers noted the cancellation sends a clear message about network accountability, though it leaves production crew, contestants, and network partners facing significant fallout.











